Christ's Example of Friendship: Part 3
![]() |
| Image pulled from Pinterest Post |
Producing no result; useless.
Vanity is not recognizing one’s own strengths and weaknesses. It is, however, only seeing personal strengths and abilities and being blind to those of others. Vanity lives in a world of false reality that limits the success it can achieve.
In my efforts, over to the last couple of months, to learn more about making and keeping friends by following Christ’s example, the theme of overcoming fears kept coming up. The first month I recognized the fear of awkward silences in relation to friendshipping. The second month related to the fear of vulnerability. In this third and final month, part 3, touches on the fear of being powerless.
The reason my introduction is on vanity is because I see a connection between being vain and being powerless. In my personal moments of vanity, I want everything to revolve around me and my abilities. Yet, often the most effective way to accomplish what I’m going for is to recognize where I am limited, back down in those areas and let others step in.
The truth is when I feel powerless, I am focusing on what I have tried to do previously and, in those times, failed. In other words, I am looking at my weakness as if it should be my strength and instead of moving forward in my strengths, I hold myself back because of my own vanity; which is, by very definition, a vain practice.
The apostle Paul taught the Philippians: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
I have noticed in my own life that my trials of faith come when I don’t believe I have the strength to do what the Lord asks me to do. The irony is that I alone am limiting the strength I could have because I’m not humble enough to rely on the Lord. The truth is the Lord is always there waiting to help me and buoy me up through my struggles regardless of my strength or weakness. And usually they are one in the same – I can view it as either depending on my perspective.
If I focus on where I lack or have failed, I feel the weight of the world and want to give up. On the other hand, if I recognize where Christ has magnified my efforts, suddenly my limitations don’t seem to matter. Christ is an infinite well of help and support and by utilizing this vast resource I become empowered. I have more power than I think because I have access to this.
I draw my power through prayer and repentance – utilizing the grace of Christ – and Christ gave me that same example. Throughout Christ’s ministry, He was in constant communication with His Father and received power and guidance from on high.
Christ asks all men and women to love and support one another. He was a true friend to all because He wasn’t afraid to love despite others rejecting his good intentions. I have more power than I think when it comes to finding a friend and all I have to do is focus on what kind of friend I am being to others and Christ will fill in the rest.
My reservations and worries and fears are only going to hurt me. Reaching out is only going to help. Armin Van Buuren put it well in his song ‘Alone’:
Are you afraid to be known
And not be a stranger?

Comments
Post a Comment